Ephedrine side effects may occur if you use this powerful supplement improperly, in large dosages, or if you have an outstanding medical condition. Before taking ephedrine HCL diet pills, you should speak to your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to use this product. Ephedrine is extracted from the Chinese herb Ma Huang, otherwise known as Ephedra. It is an alkaloid that boosts the functioning of the hormone norepinephrine in the human body and imitates the natural effects of adrenaline. Ephedrine HCL offers numerous health benefits such as weight loss, increased mental and physical energy, improved circulation and breathing, and decongestant effects. Hence, it is used as a component of numerous medicines and weight loss treatments.
It can be used either alone or along with other compounds such as caffeine and aspirin as in an ECA stack. The ECA stack is renowned for its thermogenic effects and is found to be highly effective at burning unwanted fat. However, there are some side effects that can occur when consuming ephedrine hydrochloride on an on-going basis or in large doses. Here is an overview of the effects and side effects of taking ephedrine tablets.
Effects of Ephedrine Hydrochloride
• Thermogenic effect: By increasing the effect of norepinephrine in the body, it increases the rate of metabolism. This in turn causes the release of excess of cellular energy, otherwise known as calories. Ephedrine specifically targets fat containing cells, ultimately resulting in weight loss and fat burning when combined with a healthy diet.
• Strengthens the muscles: Some weight loss pills result in muscle deterioration by creating such an unhealthy caloric deficit that the body begins to break down muscle tissue for energy. This in turn makes the person weak and reduces the strength of the body, causing the metabolic rate actually to drop in the end. Ephedrine is popular as a diet supplement because it works to burn only unwanted fat without emaciating muscles. Many people take ephedrine to build muscle.
• Serves as a bronchodilator: It relieves the blocked airways and serves as a powerful decongestant. Hence, it is used in treatment of upper respiratory tract conditions such as congested air ways, sinusitis and nasal congestion. Because of these effects, ephedrine was initially used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for asthma and allergies.
• Promotes energy and athletic performance: By mimicking the effects of adrenaline in the body, ephedrine hydrochloride can increase ones physical activity and greatly improve athletic performance.
• Improves brain activity: By increasing blood and oxygen supply to the brain, it increases the activity of brain centers regulating various actions such as concentration. This can improve focus and allow for faster reaction times.
Side Effects of Ephedrine HCL
• Nervousness: As ephedrine causes the release of excessive cellular energy, it can cause jitters and a feeling of shakiness in the fingers and hands. This restlessness is part of what makes ephedrine effective as a diet pill. This may not be present in all people, but the condition can be very serious in some people.
• Hypertension: By boosting the blood flow in the body, it can cause increased heart rate and hypertension. In some critical situations it may result in stroke and coma.
• Other side effects of using ephedrine include dizziness, vertigo, hallucinations and light-headedness.
These side effects of ephedrine can be prevented or reduced by taking the drug under safe limits as per the strict instructions of physician. In case you experience ephedrine side effects, cease consumption and seek medical advice immediately.
- Hallas J, et al. Use of a prescribed ephedrine/caffeine combination and the risk of serious cardiovascular events: a registry-based case-crossover study. Am J Epidemiol. (2008)
- Caveney S, et al. New observations on the secondary chemistry of world Ephedra (Ephedraceae). Am J Bot. (2001)